A cross was erected and blessed in the Khatyn Memorial, Logoisk District, Minsk Oblast, BelTA learned from the websites of the Belarusian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church in Belarus.
The benediction ceremony was led by Metropolitan of Minsk and Zaslavl Pavel and Auxiliary Bishop of the Minsk-Mogilev Eparchy Yuri Kosobudsky. Personnel of the memorial complex and those, who had helped erect the cross, took part in the prayer.
There is a crown of thorns at the top of the cross and three rocks at its foundation. The memorial cross has been designed by the architect Yuri Gradov and the sculptor Konstantin Selikhanov.
The Nazi troops burned the village of Khatyn together with its residents on 22 March 1943. A memorial complex was erected at the site after the war in memory of Khatyn residents and residents of all the other destroyed Belarusian villages.